Fact: There are approximately 3400 Holocaust survivors in Massachusetts. The term “Holocaust” from the Greek word “holokauston,” which means “sacrifice by fire,” refers to the Nazi persecution and planned slaughter of the Jewish people. In addition to the six million Jews that were murdered, approximately five million other people who resisted the Nazis were killed during the Holocaust.
Ezra Home Care believes that Holocaust survivors who need home care services require a special approach to care as a result of their experiences and post-traumatic stress disorder. It has been discovered that as Holocaust survivors age, reactions to certain triggers usually become harder to manage. Triggers may include resistance to the bath or shower, anxiety resulting from specific sounds such as fire alarms, trains and whistles, loud or harsh voices, dogs, doctors or medical procedures and standing in a line.
To best serve this population, Ezra Home Care has developed a unique, innovative program that is aimed at providing compassionate care to Holocaust survivors and to victims of war crimes. Our goal is to help survivors live safer, healthier and more independent lives in their homes.
Our dedicated caregivers have completed training on a number of important topics. The curriculum includes the History of the Holocaust, Kosher Nutrition, Specialized Care Techniques, as well as how to deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and understanding symptoms. Training has been provided by Jewish Family & Children’s Service (JF&CS).
Core Program Elements:
- Comprehensive client assessment
- Development and implementation client-centered care plan
- Specialized caregiver training with emphasis on emotional and psychological traumas
- Assistance with medication management
- Ongoing communication and collaboration with family members and other care providers
- Personal care and assistance with activities of daily living
- Housekeeping, laundry, shopping and meal preparation
- Appointment escort and incidental transportation
For more information, contact Ezra Home Care at 617-527-9000 or email@example.com
Ezra Home Care interview with Boston’s Senior channel discussing the Holocaust Survivor program: